Hooray! After a several month hiatus, song analyses are back! In episode 74 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast, Adam, Diane, and Steve break down arguably the most underrated song on the RED album: “Sad Beautiful Tragic.” In addition, we discuss Taylor Swift’s recent articles in Rolling Stone and her drive to persuade Ed Sheeran to enter ice cream eating contests. We also launch a new segment, “Tell Me Why” that allows you to submit any Taylor-related questions via our ask.fm/taylortalk13. We had a great time recording this one, and we hope you have an even better time listening to it! Enjoy
In Episode 74 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast:
- Adam starts off with a Stump the Hosts question for Diane and Steve… Did you know Gary Lightbody’s voice is actually in two songs on the RED album?
- You should go to hifromtaylor.com. Just do it.
- On weekends, Taylor Swift encourages Ed Sheeran to enter ice cream eating contests.
- Be sure to read Rolling Stone‘s extensive interview entitled “Backstage with Taylor Swift.” Apparently Taylor notices all of your giant fan-made posters of Meredith
- Rolling Stone ranked Taylor Swift as number 49 in “50 Greatest Live Acts Right Now.”
- Don’t forget to vote for Taylor in the Teen Choice Awards (it’s the last week to vote) and the MTV VMAs! Fun fact: Taylor Swift hasn’t won a VMA since Kayne interrupted her… so let’s make sure she wins this year!
- Taylor will perform on CMA Music Festival: Country’s Night To Rock hosted by Little Big Town. You can watch the taping on Monday Aug 12th at 8/7c on ABC.
- Diane rolls her eyes at the male egos on Taylor Talk.
- Taylor’s best friend, Abigail Anderson, attended the Kansas City RED show.
- We launch a new segment *drumroll* “Tell Me Why”! You can leave us questions for this segment via our ask.fm/taylortalk13.
- Main Discussion: “Sad Beautiful Tragic” song analysis
- The song analysis was a listener request from Maya, from Dec. 1st 2012. This just proves we keep your submissions… for a long time!
- Adam and Steve admit they don’t like sad Taylor Swift songs.
- Is this song appropriate to play at a funeral?
- Is this song related to “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together”? “Words, how little they mean when you’re a little too late” = “He calls me up and he’s like ‘I still love you”
- Diane renames the song “Sad Quiet and Subtle”
- What’s the deal with the train? We theorize it as a reference to the film, the Source Code.
- Taylor Swift did her own backup vocals on this song.
- Story of how the song was written: Taylor composed it on her tour bus, and her vocals from the original demo were used on the song because they sounded so pure & raw.
- We analyze how this song fits into the relationship progression of the RED album’s songs.
- You know you’re a Swifty when… we go through some hilarious mini-segments from listeners!
- Adam scares everyone by threatening to get a giant Taylor related tattoo on his back. No. Just no.
- What are Swifties Listening To? “Different” by Ximena Sarinana
- Adam’s so vain… his ego is getting too big for this podcast.
What are Swifties Listening To? “Different” by Ximena Sarinana