I was reminiscing just the other day… about doing a throwback song analysis that took me away! On Episode 188 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast, we discuss “Holy Ground,” a song from the RED album that we believe completes the growth/story arc from “Forever & Always,” to “Last Kiss,” and ending with “Holy Ground” (which are all songs rumored to be about the same person). “Holy Ground” is such a mature way to look at a past relationship. We can learn a lot from Taylor Swift.
What’s your take on the song? Particularly, what do you make of the lyric, “and I see your face in every crowd”? Post your thoughts in the comments below. Enjoy!
Highlights from Episode 188 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast Main Discussion: “Holy Ground” Song Analysis
– Adam fanboys over Taylor’s use of the word “reminisce” in true English teacher fashion.
– What’s your interpretation of “New York Time”?
– Is the phrase “holy ground” a religious reference?
– Check out what Diane predicted about “Holy Ground” before the song was released: taylortalk.org/what-could-the-seven-known-red-songs-be-about-editorial (Do we like the blogs? Do we read the blogs?)
– Diane has a light bulb moment years in the making about the end of the song!
– No one can agree on what “And I see your face in every crowd” means. Thoughts?
What would you do if you could direct a Taylor Swift music video? Listen up to Episode 98 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast as your hosts — Adam, Diane, and Steve — pick their favorite Taylor Swift songs and wear the “director’s hat” to plan the videos. We discuss different ways one could film “Enchanted,” “All Too Well,” and “Holy Ground,” just to name a few. Let us know if you come up with any creative music video directing ideas! Happy listening
Highlights from Episode 98 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
– Taylor Swift’s appearance on the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show will air on December 10th on CBS.
– Which one of Taylor’s songs has impacted you the most?
– Diane shocks Adam and Steve with a very “morbid” take on “Long Live”
– If you could have any Taylor Swift song made into a music video that hasn’t been already, which one would you pick?
– We wear the director’s hat and plan music videos for “Enchanted,” “Holy Ground,” “All Too Well,” “The Lucky One,” and “State of Grace.”
_ Want to wish Taylor Swift a happy birthday? Visit HappyBirthdayTaylor.com to leave Taylor Swift a birthday message. The deadline is November 20th.
– Don’t forget to vote for Taylor Talk in the Podcast Awards for the People’s Choice and Entertainment categories. Voting closes THIS Friday, November 15th at 9pm EST. Thank you everyone for voting!
Since the North American leg of the RED Tour is over, your Taylor Talk hosts can now discuss it! Join Adam, Diane, and Steve for this extra-long episode of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast for Part One of our RED Tour review. We cover the first half of the RED show and we’ll discuss the final half of the show next Monday. Don’t worry though, if you’re still waiting to see the RED show and don’t want to be spoiled, you can still listen to the beginning of the show for Taylor news and mini-segments. Enjoy the episode!
Highlights From Episode 85 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
– Trivia: How many tickets were sold for the North American leg of the RED Tour?
– Diet Coke announces a sleek new design featuring Taylor Swift
– Haters gonna hate, but Taylor’s gonna keep doing her thang.
– Taylor is bringing the RED Tour to LONDON in February!
– You know you’re a Swifty when you obsess over Taylor’s toenails… don’t ask.
– Watch Steve’s vine for the State of Grace opening here and watch the curtain fall again & again & again…
– Adam predicted the show opener, although he doesn’t remember it all.
– We love hairflip photo/hedgehog Taylor Swift so much that we used it for this episode’s feature image.
– It’s Adam & Diane vs. Steve on a particular performance (no spoilers!)
– Steve doesn’t understand one of Taylor’s costume choices. Pst. Men.
– Note: I (Diane) corrected Adam about Jessica Rabbit post-recording… she was in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, not Looney Toons.
– What is the difference between a carousel and a merry go round anyway?
– Taylor snuck in a reference to a song she wrote before she was famous, “Lucky You,” in a RED performance.
– Diane & Steve love it when you send in Adam is So Vain submissions.
Where we podcast… is Holy Ground. LOL. Join Belle, Maya and Diane for an all-girls analysis of “Holy Ground.” In one of the best song analyses yet, the ladies dig deep into what the song is about, who it’s about, and ultimately conclude that it’s one of Taylor’s most baffling songs yet!
In Episode 39:
-It’s another all-girls discussion!!
-The Taylor Talk Twitter contest winner is announced. Find out who won.
-Our panel is absolutely blown away by Taylor Swift’s performance at the American Music Awards (watch the video below)
-At the request of a Taylor Talk listener, we discuss “Holy Ground”
-What is it about?
-Who is it about?
-What does the secret message mean? “When you came to the show in SD” (hint/spoiler: Joe Jonas never went to the show in San Diego)
-What do the lyrics mean “i guess we fell apart in the usual way?” Is there any connection to “Oh, a simple complication/Miscommunications lead to fall-out” from “The Story of Us?” Is that how you fall apart in the usual way?
-WWTD if Austin became a bigger pop star than she is?
-What Are Swifties Listening to? – “You” by Emily Brooke
RED has almost been out for a month now, and accordingly, Youtube has been flooded with covers of Taylor’s newest songs. After an extensive Youtube search, I have found what I believe to be the BEST and most UNIQUE covers of 13 of the songs off RED to date. From popular Youtubers, piano covers, mash-ups, and music videos, here are 13 new ways you can listen to RED.
Note: Do not let the video quality of some of these videos fool you. They are ALL incredible! Also, these songs are in no particular order. Enjoy!
“Begin Again” – EmmaRowleyMusic
A beautiful acoustic cover of “Begin Again” filmed in black and white. Emma uses her background in musical theater to single a heartfelt cover of arguably Taylor’s most touching song on the album.
“22” A Cappella Cover- OfficialEclipseVideo
If the original version of “22” isn’t catchy enough, this one will for SURE get stuck in your head!
“All Too Well”/”Last Kiss” Mashup – courtney8328 (submitted by jessecrave)
Courtney mixed the melody and lyrics of “All Too Well” with “Last Kiss” as the songs are very thematically similar; they both describe the nostalgic longing for a past lover.
“State of Grace” – LauraZocca
A lovely rendition of “State of Grace,” very similar to Taylor Swift’s acoustic version on the Target Deluxe Edition of RED.
“I Knew You Were Trouble” — Music Video Cover by TiffanyAlvord
The hugely successful Tiffany Alvord records another hit with her spunky cover of “I Knew You Were Trouble.”
“Treacherous” — lanetteee
An acoustic cover of “Treacherous” by lanetteee. She includes the chords in her video description on Youtube if you’d like to play along. She has also done covers of many other songs off RED. Look at her Youtube channel to check them out!
Everything Has Changed – Taylor Swift ft. Ed Sheeran Cover by Emilia and Courtney
A duet with Emilia and Courtney, best friends, of Taylor’s adorable song with Ed Sheeran.
“We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together – chestersee
A HILARIOUS music video with Chester See and Taryn Southern. Keep an eye out for the whiteboard comments
“Red” – TylerWardMusic
Tyler Ward slows down “Red” for a soft, sweet male perspective of the song.
“The Last Time” Piano Cover – Tdrisc313
The talented Tdrisc313 accompanies Taylor and Gary Lightbody on the piano.
“The Moment I Knew” – OfficialLaurenn
Don’t be fooled by the slightly blurry video, OfficialLaurenn has a POWERFUL voice!
“Holy Ground” – Camaron Ochs
Camaron Ochs’s upbeat cover of Taylor’s “Holy Ground” along with a fun music video.
“Come Back… Be Here” Piano Cover – BrittniePrice
Honestly, BrittniePrice sounds like a Disney Princess in her cover of “Come Back… Be Here.”
I could write a long review here, ORRRRR I could just let you guys listen to our Special Edition Taylor Talk for RED!!!! In Episode 35, we do a brief overview of the entire Red album. In the upcoming weeks we will dive deep into the individual songs, but for now, enjoy this light-hearted and fun discussion as it leads into the REDdest week ever!!!
A special thanks to TheSwiftAgency.com for keeping such a detailed Taylor calendar!! It really helped us out this episode!!