Taylor’s Letter to Apple: The Power of Swift — Episode 186 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
When Taylor Swift speaks, Apple listens. Early on June 21st, Taylor Swift posted a letter on Tumblr asking Apple to reconsider its compensation structure during the 3 month free trial period for the upcoming Apple Music streaming service. During Apple Music’s 3 month free trial period, Apple said they would not pay the artist, a point Taylor Swift strongly disagreed with. However, by the power of Swift and concerned artists everywhere, APPLE AGREED TO CHANGE THEIR MODEL! This is a huge victory for Taylor and artists everywhere who deserve to be fairly compensated for their art.
But…. that awkward moment when you record a podcast after Taylor wrote her letter to Apple but moments before Apple announced their decision. Cue immediately out-of-date podcast episode. Still though, in Episode 186, Adam and Diane get to debate between Apple vs. Taylor, and discuss the big questions in the music industry right now: How should artists be compensated? Who should compensate them? Even though Apple now sided with Taylor Swift, the compensation discussion is still an important discussion to have. Let us know what you think in the comments below. Enjoy the episode!
Highlights from Episode 186 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: “To Apple, Love Taylor”
– Taylor has been pushing Music Has Value since she wrote her Wall Street Journal editorial last summer.
– We learned with Spotify that if Taylor doesn’t agree with a music streaming service’s compensation structure, she’s out.
– “We don’t ask you for free iPhones. Please don’t ask us to provide you with our music for no compensation.” BOOM.
– The Apple fanboy in Adam has a hard time deciding whether or not to side with Team Apple or Team Swift (Spoiler alert: Apple is Team Swift).
– The big question: Does a music streaming service’s promotion of the artist count as compensation?
– If Taylor can influence the largest company on the planet, what else is she capable of?
– Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there, including Scott Swift!
– Echosmith, Rachel Platten, Cara Delevingne, and Mariska Hargitay surprised the crowd at the 1989 World Tour stop in Philadelphia!
– OK! Magazine needs to stop their disgusting, misogynistic articles right now. #Feminism
– You know you’re a Swifty when there was never a more perfect time to wear your TEAM TAYLOR jersey.
– June 21: The 1989 World Tour – Amsterdam
– June 23: The 1989 World Tour – Glasgow, Scotland, UK
– June 24: The 1989 World Tour – Manchester, UK
– June 27: The 1989 World Tour – London, UK
– June 29 & 30: The 1989 World Tour – Dublin, Ireland
TAYLOR CONNECT: TaylorTalk13
VOICEMAIL: (240) 31-SWIFT / (240) 317-9438
Videos Mentioned in Episode 186 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast